I'm not into big complex recipes because I'm lazy. I like tasty food that is good for me, easy to make, and I can let sit to cook while go about my life and do other things.. like mindlessly watch Youtube videos (‘-’*)
This recipe can be altered however you want. That's right, I've done this recipe over 20 different times and over 20 different ways. I just let you know the main ingredients you need to make sure it tastes okay. It's good for meal prep, camping, while living in a van, or if you're feeling fancy and want to make a big batch to impress your meat eating friends. Okay ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary folks.. here you go!
1. What's really going to make your flavors come together in this recipe is onion and garlic. That's the flavor town you need for any base of a good food recipe. Chop them up in small or large chunks, whatever tickles your fancy. Sauté them for 1-3 minutes with some oil or water.
2. Next you're going to add in spices to cook in with the onion and garlic. The main spices you need are: salt, pepper, cumin, and some kind of spice like paprika. The additional fancy spices that you can throw in are: adobe pepper, chili powder, garlic (extra garlic for the garlic lovers), and oregano.
2. Okay next on the list is to add some veggies! We definitely have our favorites when it comes to this dish and usually put red bell pepper and carrot, but have used celery as well. Other options: green or yellow bell pepper, spinach, kale, swiss chard, mushroom, squash, etc.
3. Once it's cooking pretty well and everything is starting to smell good, you're going to add in your canned diced tomatoes. Get the Italian herbs one! Not sure what they do to make it so magical, but that's the one you want. You can also add in some veggie stock or TVP (textured vegetable protein) if you have access to these items. If not, don't worry this recipe works just as well without them.
4. If you have extra time on your hands, you can use uncooked beans and let them sit in the pot with everything for at least an hour, but if you're feeling lazy and just want to use canned beans, you can do that too.The possibilities are endless with the bean selection, but our favorites have got to be 4 bean mix, kidney, black, and pinto beans. You can use any or all of them, they taste unique and will give the recipe a different flavor each time.
5. Next you bring everything to a boil, cover it up with a lid, and let it sit for at least half an hour. I've found that the longer you wait, the better this meals taste. All the flavors will blend together nicely. But it's your food, I'm not going to tell you what to do!
Okay that's it! We hope you enjoy and are able to alter the recipe depending on your taste palette. You can add everything or the bare minimum, this chili is super easy to make. Here's a lil throwback vlog to when we made this recipe while camping! Bye ✿